At least according to the manufacturer’s manual, rooftop tents are getting cheaper every year and continue to open up new areas of car and SUV camping for the masses. Today we are going to test this requirement by showing you the latest RTT model for 2021. You can count on these novices to introduce more aerodynamic designs, lighter, more practical and more comfortable products.
1.Skycamp Mini from iKamper
- Mini open: 80.7 (L) x 50.4 (W) x 45.3″ (H)
2X open: 82.6″ (L) x 54.3 (W) x 45.3″ (H)
2.0 open: 82.6″ (L) x 82.6 (W) x 45.3″ (H)
- Mini closed: 57.1 (L) x 54.3 (W) x 12.5″ (H)
2X closed: 85.8 (L) x 54.3 (W) x 12.5″ (H)
2.0 closed: 85.8 (L) x 54.3 (W) x 12.5″ (H)
- Mini Weight: 125 lbs
2X Weight: 120 lbs
2.0 Weight: 160 lbs
The Falcon is a 50-inch wide aluminum one-piece roof tent, which when closed, is less than 7 inches high. Its four sides have auxiliary channels for connecting awnings, etc., and an optional set of crossbars for carrying bicycles, kayaks, snowboards or any other items. LED lighting is now integrated!
- Style: flip
- Sleep: 2
- Ideal for: all vehicles
- Cross-border assistance: yes
- Store thick beds: No
- Weight: 140 pounds
- Internal dimensions: 88 inches (length) x 48 inches (width)
- Size: 90 inches (length) x 50 inches (width)
- Structure: honeycomb aluminum
- Includes tent: 7.5 foot ladder, anti-condensation pad, two detachable pockets, thickened ceiling and LED lights!
3.GT ROOF MINI
Among the booming roof tents of various shapes and sizes, the Mini from the Vienna startup Gentle Tent truly stands out due to its portability and inflatable structure. It weighs only 42 pounds, is one of the lightest models on the market, and can accommodate 99.9% of all vehicles.
- Lightweight roof tent, weighing only 19 kg, with a surface covering of 110 cm x 200 cm
- The long and narrow packaging size is only 140 x 51 x 15cm
- Can be installed next to the roof box or on a canoe on the roof
- One person can assemble and install
- Panoramic mosquito-repellent window all around
- The setting time is about 5 minutes
- Applies to 99.9% of all vehicles
- Includes housing for additional heat and weather protection, 12V compressor pump, hand pump and telescopic ladder
4.Drifta Wild Land
Drifta Wild Land is a hard shell RTT weighing only 114 pounds and only 6.3 inches thick, making it the most popular product in this segment. The hull is made of aluminum and is completely flat. In this way, it can carry 220 pounds of cargo during the journey.
The lightweight soft shell version is lighter and more compact than the other products in the TentBox series, with an aluminum frame and supported by a telescopic ladder. The main body of the tent is made of weatherproof and tearproof canvas with PU film.
- External dimensions when closed: L214 x W125 x H30cm
- External dimensions when opened: L214 x W125 x H100cm
- Interior dimensions: L210 x W124 x H95cm
- Weight: 50 kg
- Outer hard shell material: reinforced fiberglass
- Fabric: 320g / m2 tear-resistant polyester cotton canvas with PU coating
Designed to fit most vehicles equipped with roof racks. The general rule is to ensure that the dynamic load capacity of the stand is at least equal to the weight of the tent. This is the weight that the luggage rack can physically support when the vehicle is in motion. However, you should check the manufacturer’s luggage rack system to make sure it can support the weight of the tent.